A Season of Ghosts



I read this book for the first time in 2012 or 2013. And when the world was in a lockdown condition, I re-read some Ruskin Bond books. Those days, DD National was re-telecasting Ek Tha Rusty-2, and the season started with the story 'Who Killed the Rani?' So I was curious to read the book once again. And here I am, writing my thoughts after relishing the book for the second time.

I am not much into spooky and eerie literature. And horror does not suit me, as I am among those who start shouting with fear whenever there's complete darkness and silence. Still, I enjoyed the book back then because it had a Ruskin Bond feel of Nature. And also because I feel that the supernatural beings in his stories are a part of us, as they co-exist with the human world. I always think, and the question still lingers in my mind- are these paranormal beings a product of our imagination only or do they exist?

All the stories are set in the misty Himalayas, thus bringing a nostalgic feel. The description of grandeur of the mountains is splendid. It takes you into an enchanted world. Despite being an easily scared person, I love some spooky stories from this collection. Whistling in the dark is my favorite of all. And the others like- On Fairy Hill, The Black Cat, and Wilson's Bridge- appeal to my taste.

The friendliness of the ghost in 'Whistling in the Dark' is very moving and saddening at the same time. Mist and shadow enhance the feeling of loneliness, yet being with one's shadow and echo.

"We three,

We're not alone,

We're not even a company-

My echo,

My shadow,

And me..."

I have read 'Wilson's Bridge' earlier in many other anthologies. This story, an urban legend based in the mountains of Uttarakhand, is full of romance and infidelity. It maintains the suspense of hauntings till the end or rather even after it ends. 'On Fairy Hill' is a lament on mundane routine life. How a person, fed up with the routine, wants to escape in a world, ideal 'for a more exalted and fulfilling existence.'

'The Black Cat' has old-world charm in it. Cat's obsession with the broomstick, and Miss Bellow's grace and poise are extraordinary. 'Reunion at the Regal' makes you feel the sense of loss of your loved ones.

'Something in the Water' was a horror movie for me, and I am always scared of watching horror movies. 'The Prize' has some well-dressed but hostile diners as the harbingers of the supernatural. Its end leaves you shivering with fear.

In 'Night of the Millennium' Pasand represents the new India, characterized by mechanical progress, and short of real emotions. And a nature man like Ruskin Bond despises such kind of progress. 'The Rakshasas', totally brought back childhood memories when my grandmother told me a lot of stories about fairies, kings, queens, demons, and all. This story was a fairy tale for me.

And the last gem of this collection is the one for which I picked up this book for the second time- 'Who Killed the Rani?'. Ruskin Bond says that it is his light-hearted attempt at writing a detective story. And man! the story was wonderful, having all elements for keeping one engaging till the end drama, emotion, suspense, and lots of comedy. Set in Mussoorie in the 1970s, it is the story of Inspector Keemat Lal, the god-fearing atheist, trying to solve the murder mystery on his own. He is 'a bit of a plodder'. He keeps on trying till the end, complaining of slopes and the 'non-existence' of vehicles, other than a bicycle, for hill policemen. But he emerges as the quiet hero in the end, with his touch of humanity and compassion. This novella proves, once again, that Ruskin Bond writes about ordinary people in not-so-ordinary situations.

These stories will remain in the reader's mind for many seasons. I loved reading this book and will come again to it whenever I'll need to have a feel of the misty supernatural, full of nostalgia and a feel of hills.

-Ekta Kubba

Comments